Cuttlefish and Chickpea Stew
Cuttlefish and Chickpea Stew is a classic Mediterranean dish that is easy to make and full of flavour. This stew is a great way to enjoy the fresh taste of cuttlefish, a type of seafood that is often overlooked. The combination of chickpeas, tomatoes, and spices makes this stew a hearty and nutritious meal. The stew can be served with rice, over pasta, or on its own. It’s also a great way to use up leftover cuttlefish.
Ease of Preparation
Cuttlefish and Chickpea Stew is a simple and quick meal to make. All you need to do is sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil, add the spices, and then add the cuttlefish, chickpeas, and tomatoes. Finally, add the vegetable broth and simmer for about 20 minutes. The stew is ready to serve when the cuttlefish is cooked through.
Cuttlefish and Chickpea Stew is a nutritious and healthy meal. Each serving provides a good source of protein, fiber, and vitamins and minerals. One serving contains approximately:
- Calories: 188
- Fat: 6.3g
- Carbohydrates: 19.5g
- Protein: 12.7g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Vitamin A: 7%
- Vitamin C: 25%
- Calcium: 4%
- Iron: 14%
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1 onion, diced
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 teaspoon paprika
-1 teaspoon ground cumin
-1 teaspoon ground coriander
-1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
-1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
-1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 bay leaf
-1/2 pound cuttlefish, cleaned and cut into 1-inch pieces
-1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
-1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
-3 cups vegetable broth
-1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
-1 lemon, juiced
-Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the paprika, cumin, coriander, turmeric, oregano, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and salt. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the cuttlefish, chickpeas, tomatoes, and bay leaf. Stir to combine.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and lemon juice.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve hot.
- To save time, use pre-cleaned cuttlefish.
- If using fresh cuttlefish, make sure to thoroughly clean it before cooking.
- If you don’t have fresh parsley, you can use dried parsley.
- For a spicier stew, add more cayenne pepper.
- For a milder stew, reduce the amount of cayenne pepper.
Cuttlefish and Chickpea Stew is a hearty and flavourful stew. The combination of spices gives the stew a unique and delicious flavour. The cuttlefish is tender and the chickpeas are creamy. The tomatoes add a slight sweetness to the stew, while the lemon juice adds a touch of acidity. The stew is savoury and has a slight kick from the cayenne pepper.
Best Dishes Paired With
Cuttlefish and Chickpea Stew pairs well with a variety of dishes. It can be served with a side of rice, over pasta, or on its own. It also pairs well with a fresh salad or a side of roasted vegetables.
Origin of Dish and History
Cuttlefish and Chickpea Stew is a classic Mediterranean dish. It is believed to have originated in the Middle East and has been enjoyed for centuries. The dish has been adapted over the years and is now a popular dish in many Mediterranean countries.
If you don’t have cuttlefish, you can substitute it with squid or octopus. You can also use canned beans instead of chickpeas. For a vegetarian version, omit the cuttlefish and use extra chickpeas. You can also add other vegetables such as mushrooms, bell peppers, or zuc