Catfish sandwich is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that will please the whole family. This sandwich has lightly-breaded catfish fillets, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, and various spices. The result is a flavorful and juicy sandwich that will become a favourite. Plus, it’s a great way to use up leftover catfish fillets.
Ease of preparation
A catfish sandwich is a simple and quick dish to make. You only need a few essential ingredients and a few minutes to prepare. The catfish fillets are lightly breaded, cooked in a pan with vegetable oil, and then sandwiched between two hamburger buns with mayonnaise and mustard sauce. The sandwich can be served with lettuce, tomato, and onion slices, or you can enjoy it as is.
One serving of Catfish Sandwich (without the optional toppings) contains approximately 367 calories, 21.6g of fat, 32.5g of protein, and 16.2g of carbohydrates. It is also an excellent dietary fibre, vitamin, and minerals source.
– 2 catfish fillets
– 2 hamburger buns
– 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
– 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1/4 cup cornmeal
– 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/4 cup vegetable oil
– Lettuce, tomato, and onion slices (optional)
- Begin by preparing the catfish fillets. Combine the cornmeal, flour, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Dip the catfish fillets in the mixture, coating them evenly.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place the catfish fillets in the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove the catfish fillets from the skillet and set them aside.
- Spread the mayonnaise and mustard on the hamburger buns to assemble the sandwich.
- Place the catfish fillets on the buns and top with lettuce, tomato, and onion slices (if desired).
- Drizzle the sandwiches with lemon juice and serve.
For a crispy and flavorful sandwich, coat the catfish fillets evenly with cornmeal and flour. Also, be careful not to overcook the fish, which can become dry and tough.
A catfish sandwich is a savoury and flavorful dish. The lightly-breaded catfish fillets are juicy and tender, and the mayonnaise and mustard sauce add a creamy and tangy element. The sandwich is also enhanced by the optional toppings of lettuce, tomato, and onion slices, which add a fresh and crunchy texture.
Best dishes paired with
The catfish sandwich is best served with a side of coleslaw or potato salad. It can also be served with fries, chips, or a salad.
Origin of dish and history
Catfish sandwich is believed to have originated in the Southern United States. It is a popular dish in the region and is often served at restaurants as fish fries.
If you are looking for a different variation on the classic catfish sandwich, you can try substituting the catfish fillets for other types of fish. Salmon, trout, and tilapia are all popular alternatives. You can add different spices or herbs to the cornmeal and flour mixture for a unique flavour.