Cockles with Tomato Sauce
Cockles with Tomato Sauce is a classic seafood dish that is easy to make and flavorful. This dish is made with fresh cockles, olive oil, garlic, onion, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper, and fresh parsley. It is a flavorful, light, and healthy meal that can be enjoyed at any time of the day. The combination of flavours makes for a delicious and satisfying dish.
Ease of preparation
This dish is incredibly simple to make. All you need to do is sauté the garlic and onion in olive oil, then add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and sugar. Simmer until the sauce has reduced and the flavours have blended. Then add the cockles and cook until they are just cooked through. Finally, season with salt and pepper and garnish with parsley. This dish can be made in under 30 minutes, making it a great quick and easy meal option.
One serving of Cockles with Tomato Sauce contains approximately 200 calories, 11g of fat, 11g of carbohydrates, and 11g of protein. It is also a good source of iron and vitamin C.
– 2 lbs of cockles
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 onion, diced
– 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
– 1 can (14.5 ounces) of diced tomatoes
– 1 teaspoon of sugar
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, onion, and sauté for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced and the flavours have blended.
- Add the cockles and cook for 5-7 minutes until cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with parsley.
– If you are using frozen cockles, thaw them before adding them to the sauce.
– You can add a splash of white wine to the sauce for a richer flavour.
– If the sauce is too acidic, add a pinch of sugar to balance the flavours.
Cockles with Tomato Sauce is a flavorful and satisfying dish. The acidity of the tomato paste balances out the sweetness of the tomatoes. The garlic and onion add a savoury note, while the parsley adds a fresh and herby flavour. The cockles are tender and juicy, making the dish even more delicious.
Best dishes paired with
Cockles with Tomato Sauce pair well with a variety of dishes. It can be served with crusty bread, roasted vegetables, or mashed potatoes. It also goes well with a light salad or a bowl of steamed rice.
Origin of dish and history
Cockles with Tomato Sauce is a classic Italian dish that has been around for centuries. It is believed to have originated in the Veneto region of Italy. The dish was traditionally made with clams, but cockles have become a popular substitute.
If you don’t have cockles, you can substitute them with shellfish such as clams, mussels, or shrimp. You can also use canned tomatoes instead of fresh ones. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a splash of white wine to the sauce for a more flavorful dish.