Crab Thermidor is a classic French dish that combines the deliciously sweet flavour of crab meat with a rich, creamy sauce. This dish is surprisingly easy to make and only takes about 30 minutes to prepare. It is a great dish to serve for special occasions or as a main course for dinner. The creamy sauce is made with butter, garlic, white wine, cream, mustard, paprika, parsley, and breadcrumbs. The optional ingredients of grated cheese and lemon juice can be added to enhance the flavour. This dish is sure to be a hit with all seafood lovers.
Ease of preparation
Crab Thermidor is a surprisingly easy dish to prepare. All you need to do is combine the ingredients for the creamy sauce in a saucepan, add the crab meat, and simmer for about 20 minutes. The dish can be served with a side of steamed vegetables or a light salad. It can also be served as a main course with a side of rice or potatoes.
Crab Thermidor is a healthy dish that is high in protein and low in fat. It is also a good source of vitamins and minerals. One serving of Crab Thermidor contains approximately 400 calories, 24 grams of fat, 25 grams of protein, and 13 grams of carbohydrates.
– 2 lbs of crab meat
– 4 tablespoons of butter
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1/2 cup of white wine
– 1/2 cup of cream
– 2 teaspoons of mustard
– 1 teaspoon of paprika
– 2 tablespoons of parsley, chopped
– 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
– 1/2 cup of grated cheese (optional)
– 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (optional)
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the white wine and cream and bring to a simmer.
- Add the mustard, paprika, parsley, and breadcrumbs and stir to combine.
- Add the crab meat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the grated cheese and lemon juice (optional).
- Serve hot with a side of steamed vegetables or a light salad.
– Make sure to use fresh crab meat for the best flavour.
– You can substitute with chicken broth if you don’t have white wine.
– You can adjust the amount of cream and butter to your taste.
– For a spicier version, add some cayenne pepper or chilli flakes.
Crab Thermidor is a delicious dish that has a rich and creamy flavour. The garlic, white wine, and mustard complement the sweet taste of the crab meat. The grated cheese and lemon juice add a hint of sharpness to the dish. The breadcrumbs give the dish a nice crunchy texture.
Best dishes paired with
Crab Thermidor is best served with a side of steamed vegetables or a light salad. It can also be served as a main course with a side of rice or potatoes. It pairs nicely with a crisp white wine or a light beer.
Origin of dish and history
Crab Thermidor is a classic French dish believed to have been created in the 19th century. The dish is named after the French playwright Victorien Sardou’s play Thermidor. The original version of the dish was made with lobster instead of crab.
You can substitute with shrimp or lobster if you cannot access crab meat. You can also make a vegetarian version of the dish by replacing the crab meat with mushrooms or tofu.