Nasi Goreng is a popular Indonesian fried rice dish that is enjoyed around the world. It is a simple dish that is easy to prepare and can be made with a variety of ingredients. The dish is made with cooked white or brown rice, garlic, shallots, chilli, shrimp paste, tamarind paste, kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), eggs, meat (chicken, beef, or shrimp), vegetables (carrots, cabbage, green beans, etc.), and fried shallots. It is a flavorful, hearty dish that can be enjoyed as a main meal or as a side dish.
Ease of Preparation
Nasi Goreng is a relatively easy dish to prepare and can be made in minutes. All of the ingredients can be prepped ahead of time, making the cooking process even easier. To prepare the dish, the cooked rice is fried with garlic, shallots, chilli, shrimp paste, tamarind paste, kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), eggs, meat (chicken, beef, or shrimp), vegetables (carrots, cabbage, green beans, etc.), and fried shallots. The ingredients can be adjusted to personal preference, and the dish can be served as a main meal or as a side dish.
Nasi Goreng is a nutritious dish that is high in protein, carbohydrates, and dietary fibre. It is also a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, iron, and magnesium. One serving of Nasi Goreng contains approximately 300 calories, 10 grams of fat, 15 grams of protein, and 45 grams of carbohydrates.
– 2 cups cooked white or brown rice
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 shallots, minced
– 1 chilli, minced
– 2 teaspoons shrimp paste
– 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
– 2 tablespoons kecap manis (sweet soy sauce)
– 2 eggs, lightly beaten
– 1 cup cooked chicken, beef, or shrimp
– 1 cup carrots, diced
– 1 cup cabbage, shredded
– 1 cup green beans, sliced
– 2 tablespoons fried shallots
- Heat a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, shallots, chilli, and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp paste, tamarind paste, and kecap manis and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken, beef, shrimp, carrots, cabbage, and green beans and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the fried shallots and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve hot.
– To make the dish spicier, add more chilli.
– To make the dish sweeter, add more kecap manis.
– To make the dish more flavorful, add more garlic and shallots.
– To make the dish healthier, use brown rice instead of white rice.
Nasi Goreng is a flavorful dish that is savoury, sweet, and spicy. The garlic, shallots, and chilli give the dish a savoury flavour, while the kecap manis adds sweetness. The shrimp paste and tamarind paste add a unique flavour, and the fried shallots give the dish a crunchy texture.
Best Dishes Paired With
Nasi Goreng is best enjoyed with other Indonesian dishes such as Gado-Gado, Sate Ayam, and Sambal Goreng. It can also be served with a variety of side dishes, such as steamed vegetables, fried tofu, and fried tempeh.
Origin of Dish and History
Nasi Goreng is believed to have originated in Indonesia during the 15th century. The dish has since become popular around the world and is enjoyed in many countries, including Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, and the Netherlands.
There are many variations of Nasi Goreng that are popular around the world. The most popular variations include Nasi Goreng Ayam (chicken), Nasi Goreng Seafood (seafood), and Nasi Goreng Vegetarian (vegetarian). The dish can also be made with different types of rice, such as jasmine, basmati, and sticky rice.