Scallops with Bacon and Red Onion
Scallops with Bacon and Red Onion is an easy and delicious dish that is sure to please. This recipe combines the sweet and savoury flavours of bacon and red onion with the succulent texture of scallops to create a meal that is both flavorful and satisfying. Perfect for a weeknight dinner or a special occasion, this dish is sure to be a hit!
Ease of preparation
This recipe is easy to prepare and requires minimal effort. The bacon and red onion can be cooked in advance, which makes it even easier. The scallops are seasoned and quickly cooked in a hot pan, making for a delicious and quick meal.
This dish is a great source of protein and healthy fats. Each serving contains approximately 300 calories, 17g of fat, 17g of protein, and 4g of carbohydrates.
-12 ounces of bacon, diced
-1 large red onion, thinly sliced
-1 tablespoon of olive oil
-1/2 teaspoon of salt
-1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
-1 pound of large sea scallops
-2 tablespoons of freshly chopped parsley
-Lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
- Begin by heating a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the diced bacon and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced red onion and cook until softened about 4 minutes.
- Remove the bacon and onion from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet and heat until shimmering.
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper, then add to the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes per side, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Return the bacon and onion to the skillet and toss to combine.
- Serve the scallops with the bacon and onion, sprinkled with freshly chopped parsley and lemon wedges (optional). Enjoy!
-When cooking the scallops, be sure not to overcrowd the pan. Cook in batches if necessary.
-If the scallops are sticking to the pan, they are not ready to be flipped. Wait until they release easily before flipping.
-For a lighter version of this dish, try using turkey bacon instead of regular bacon.
This dish is a delicious combination of sweet and savoury flavours. The bacon and red onion provide a salty, smoky flavour, while the scallops are sweet and succulent. The freshly chopped parsley adds a bright, herby flavour to the dish.
Best dishes paired with
This dish is delicious served with a side of steamed vegetables, such as broccoli or asparagus. It is also delicious and served with a salad or a side of roasted potatoes.
Origin of dish and history
This dish is believed to have originated in the Mediterranean region, where scallops and bacon are common ingredients. It has since become popular around the world and is often served as a special occasion dish.
If you’re looking for a lighter version of this dish, try using turkey bacon instead of regular bacon. You can also substitute shrimp for the scallops for a different twist. For a vegetarian version, try using mushrooms or roasted vegetables instead of bacon.