Whitebait Fish Cakes
Whitebait Fish Cakes are a delicious and nutritious seafood dish that are perfect for a quick and easy meal. This recipe is simple to make and can be cooked in minutes. The whitebait is lightly coated in flour and fried in vegetable oil until golden and crisp. The fish cakes are then served with a light lemon juice and parsley dressing. With its mild flavour and flaky texture, Whitebait Fish Cakes are sure to become a favourite in your household.
Ease of Preparation
Whitebait Fish Cakes are incredibly easy to prepare and require minimal ingredients. All you need is 500g of whitebait, two large eggs, half a cup of plain flour, and some fresh herbs. Simply mix all the ingredients together, form into patties, and fry in vegetable oil until golden and crisp. Serve with a light lemon juice and parsley dressing for the perfect accompaniment.
Whitebait Fish Cakes are a great source of protein and essential vitamins and minerals. One serving of Whitebait Fish Cakes (100g) contains approximately:
– Calories: 114
– Protein: 11.7g
– Fat: 7.1g
– Carbs: 3.2g
– Fiber: 0.9g
– Sodium: 49mg
– 500g whitebait
– 2 large eggs
– 1/2 cup plain flour
– 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
– 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
– 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
– 2 tablespoons finely chopped spring onions
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 1/4 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the whitebait, eggs, flour, parsley, dill, chives, spring onions, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Using your hands, form the mixture into small patties and place them in the hot oil.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden and crisp.
- Serve with a light lemon juice and parsley dressing.
– To ensure that your Whitebait Fish Cakes are cooked through, be sure to press down on them with a spatula to flatten them out.
– If you find that your fish cakes are sticking to the pan, add a little more oil.
– If you don’t have fresh herbs, you can use dried herbs instead.
Whitebait Fish Cakes have a mild and delicate flavour. The fish is lightly seasoned with herbs and lemon juice, giving it a subtle yet delicious taste. The patties are golden and crisp on the outside, while remaining soft and flaky on the inside.
Best Dishes Paired With
Whitebait Fish Cakes are best served with a light lemon juice and parsley dressing. They can also be enjoyed with a side of mashed potatoes, a fresh salad, or even some steamed vegetables.
Origin of Dish and History
Whitebait Fish Cakes have been a popular dish in New Zealand for many years. The name ‘whitebait’ refers to the small, immature fish that are caught in the country’s rivers and streams. The fish are then lightly coated in flour and fried until golden and crisp.
If you’re looking for an alternative to Whitebait Fish Cakes, you can try making Salmon Fish Cakes or Tuna Fish Cakes. Both are delicious and can be prepared in the same way. You can also experiment with different herbs and spices to create a unique flavour.