Mussels with Saffron Cream Sauce
Mussels with Saffron Cream Sauce is a delicious and easy-to-make seafood dish that will impress your guests. This classic recipe combines mussels, garlic, white wine, and saffron with a creamy sauce that is the perfect accompaniment. The combination of flavours creates a dish that is both flavorful and comforting. It’s the ideal meal for a special occasion or a weeknight dinner.
Ease of Preparation
Mussels with Saffron Cream Sauce is an easy-to-make seafood dish that can be prepared in under 30 minutes. All you need to do is sauté the garlic and mussels in the olive oil, add the wine and saffron, and then simmer until the mussels open. Finally, stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper. This dish is a great way to enjoy seafood without spending too much time in the kitchen.
One serving of Mussels with Saffron Cream Sauce contains around 400 calories, 21g of fat, 7g of carbohydrates, and 34g of protein. It is also a good source of vitamins and minerals, including calcium, iron, potassium, and magnesium.
– 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1/2 cup dry white wine
– 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
– 1/2 cup heavy cream
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the mussels to the pot and stir to combine. Pour in the white wine and saffron and stir again.
- Cover the pot and cook until the mussels open, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the mussels with the sauce and garnish with chopped parsley.
– Make sure to discard any mussels that do not open after cooking.
– Add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the sauce for a spicier version.
– For a richer flavour, use half-and-half instead of heavy cream.
This dish has a rich and creamy flavour balanced by the bright and acidic notes of white wine and saffron. The garlic adds an additional layer of flavour that complements the other ingredients perfectly.
Best Dishes Paired With
Mussels with Saffron Cream Sauce pairs well with a variety of side dishes. Try serving it with a side of roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, or a simple salad.
Origin of Dish and History
Mussels with Saffron Cream Sauce is a classic French dish enjoyed for centuries. The combination of mussels and saffron is believed to have originated in the south of France, where saffron was grown and harvested.
If you don’t have access to mussels, you can use clams or shrimp in this recipe. You can also use a different type of white wine if you prefer, such as a Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay. You can omit the cream for a lighter version and use vegetable broth instead.